STUDY OF THE AORTIC AND PULMONARY SEMILUNAR VALVES IN OVINES (Ovis aries ? LINNAEUS, 1758).

P. R. R. MOREIRA, W. M. SOUZA, N. T. M. SOUZA, C. N. CORRÊA

Abstract


Aortic and pulmonary semilunar valves were studied in 30 hearts of adult, mongrel ovines, either males or females, slaughtered in Araçatuba, São Paulo State, Brazil. Before the isolation, the valves had been dissected, arrested in plate, and fixed in watery solution of 10% formaldehyde. Images were obtained to analyze the valvular surface, which was then measured using the Analytical System of Images Leica® Qwin 550IW. The mean carcass weight was 77.6kg. The mean height was 0.63m, whereas the mean length was 1.28m. Regarding the hearts, the mean weight was 147.20g, then mean height 10.37cm, the mean width 7.52cm, and the mean diameter at the heart base 17.41cm. Coronary arteries originated from the aortic lumen, with its ostia positioned at the right (right coronary artery) and left (left coronary artert)semilunar aortic valves. The right coronary artery had the ostium located over the median line of the valve in 27 hearts(90%); in the remaining three hearts (10%) the ostium was located to the right of the line. In the majority of the hearts, 28 times (93.3%), the left coronary artery ostium was located to the right of the median line of the left semilunar aortic valve, whereas in two hearts (6.7%) the artery originated on the right of this line.
KEY-WORDS: Heart. Valves. Ovine.



DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15361/2175-0106.2006v22n2p80-85